Monday, August 18, 2008

18 years, 10 months and 16 days ... but who's counting?

I think our Stake President said the absolute worst thing he could have said to me in my fairly post partum state. We had the priviledge of hearing the mission report for a young man from our ward who served an excellent mission. We have been in this ward for 9 and a half years, so he was just starting Young Men's when we first met him. He is a great kid from a great family and even though it was a little bit rocky, he travelled the road less travelled and served a mission for the LDS Church. He shared some wonderful experiences and the spirit was strong. Having served a mission myself, every time I hear a missionary report, I just am drawn back into those wonderful memories (ok - maybe they aren't ALL memorable - but the experience itself was life changing and I would go back in a flash if I had it all to do over again). After this young man finished his talk, the Stake President took a few moments to talk about the experiences he is having as a Stake President working with these missionaries as they come and go. It is one of his favorite responsibilities, and who can blame him. The spirit a missionary carries with him or her is strong and can be felt by anyone in their presence - they are set apart to be the Lord's representatives and that mantle is very real. The Stake President went on in his comments to let us know that missions are absolutely divinely appointed. He explained that just as these boys are getting to the point where, as parents, we just don't know what to do with them, the Lord tells us that we can send them to Him. He will take them for the next two years and use them to do His work. He will mold them and shape them and turn them into the strong, diligent men they are meant to be. So, as I sat in that meeting, tears rolling from my eyes, drenched in the overwhelming peace and beauty of the spirit, I looked down at my lovely little baby, cuddled in my arms and sleeping so peacefully. Really? Someday I will be sending him out into the world, completely trusting in the Lord and His work? That brought more tears, but they were accompanied by the peace the spirit brings when a truth is being taught directly to your heart. I know I can send him, I've been there and I wouldn't ever want to deny him that growth and that opportunity to find his spiritual brothers and sisters. So, as of today, only 18 years, 10 months and 16 days until that blessed 19th birthday. I'm not really keeping track, but I will start saving up now and, more importantly, doing everything I can to help him be prepared to accept that calling from the Lord.

Now, as for his older brother, of course all of this applies to him, too. In fact, his countdown is 15 years, 9 months and 2 days. Although I was cuddling my little newborn at the time (the three year old was in fits with his daddy), my thoughts were turned to both of them, they are my sweet hearts and my love for them is stronger than I can even describe.