Friday, September 5, 2008

My Net Worth

Last night we had one of those quick, unplanned visits with Bert's dad and Karyn and in the course of our conversation, an important truth was confirmed in my heart. We were talking about some pictures we had just looked at, which led us to discussing some of the many outings and trips others in the family had taken. Bert and I must have sounded a little envious of some of these exotic ventures when his dad quickly commented that what we gave those trips up for is worth so much more than those trips.

So, I started to really look at our "Net Worth", and it is great. Bert works VERY hard and long for our family and I am able to stay home with our beautiful children. We don't have extra money for lessons or fancy clothes or big trips, but we have four amazing children (not perfect, but definitely amazing) and we are happy and healthy. I get to spend every waking moment worrying about them and thinking about them and wondering what I can do to help them more. And then we get all sorts of hugs and kisses and loves in return. The other day The Boy was talking to Uncle Boogerhead and went through a list of everyone he loves. Mommy made it on the list twice. And the other day Bert had a gig that kept him out late and Thing 1 wrote him a note that said bedtime just isn't the same withouth him here - and she left the note on his nightstand.

Despite the fact that we get tired and worn out from all that we need to do on a daily basis, if we can break away from that and look at our many blessings, we can feel peace and happiness our our lives for the work we are doing.

So, trips to Africa may not be our reality, but we have the best life for us. Thanks to Jim for saying what he said to make this perfectly clear. And next time I start pouting as I look over the travels of one or look at the lovely outfit of another, I'll sit back and say "I CHOSE TO TRADE ALL THAT IN FOR MY FAMILY - AND THEY ARE WORTH IT."

Should I get that tattooed on my eyelids?