Sunday, April 12, 2009

On Miracles

Today my heart is full. It is Easter, the day we celebrate the greatest miracle that ever occurred on the earth. My mind is full of thoughts of my Savior and the things he did for me, for you, for every person that has ever and will ever live on this earth. That alone is so far beyond my comprehension, but the love in my heart, the peace and happiness there are very easy to understand. I know they come from a loving Father.

I cannot thing of the life of my Savior without picturing miracles all along the way. The circumstances of His birth, the healings and blessings He bestowed, His understanding of mankind, His Atonement, and His Resurrection. What incredible miracles these are, and how blessed we are to know of these.

Pondering on these miracles brings me to see the miracles that are happening all around us. Each day there is something miraculous that I see. Today, a heroic captain was rescued at sea, yesterday I prayed for his safety and today that happened. And I am certain that I was not the only one, as this information circulated the news there must have been many praying for his rescue. And today we saw it come to pass.

At the same time, however, I learned of a young girl whose life was ended cruelly and prematurely. I am certain prayers were offered on her behalf, yet, no miraculous rescue occurred and her family will now live on with the pain of this tragedy a part of their everyday lives.

Up front, it might not seem fair, and, by all means, it's not. But, thankfully, it is not for us to decide. Our decision is not who gets which miracle, but rather, the attitude we take upon the outcomes of these events in our lives.

Christ, Himself, suffered a horrible death. He was not exempt from pain and solitude. However it was necessary in order for a great miracle to occur, one that would apply to all mankind. Had He not died, there would have been no resurrection. And had He not experiences such great pain and suffering at that time, there would have been no atonement. Each of these acts are the essential elements of our salvation. Without them, life would hold no purpose. If Christ had been spared death, eternal life would not be.

So, I remind myself that we are also not exempt. Bad things will happen. Horrible things will happen. But miracles will occur. Some later, some sooner. It is not for us to decide when and where they will all take place, but for a loving Heavenly Father.

I will continue to pray for miracles. My heart will be full of gratitude when those miracles occur. And when tragedy strikes, I will pray for the miracle of healing to come to those in need. My heart is extended towards so many today, those who are celebrating, as well as those that are mourning. May peace be brought to all.