Sunday, August 1, 2010

Not "Why" , but "How"

Sunday mornings tend to tetor on the disastrous side of life ... especially lately. The past few weeks I remember looking in the mirror while I applied a bit of make-up and smoothed out some hairs, just before running out the door to get to church on time. That moment of quiet I take for myself, looking in the mirror at myself, leads to some reflection.

Today ended up being the worst morning of them all ... I've hardly slept for four nights in a row, the boys got outside and were running down the street in their pajamas while I was getting dressed, and an entire pitcher of kool-aid spilled all over the kitchen floor (just to mention a few events).

UGH!

That might have been the end of my rope.

But, we forged on, with a light mopping of the kitchen floor and digging out the church clothes that are hiding in all sorts of nooks and crannies as we suddenly find ourselves remodeling the basement.

Really, I could have just blamed it all on a lingering cough (which is the culprit for my recent lack of sleep) and called it a day.

Strangely enough, the thought never even entered my mind today. As I sat there looking in the mirror, taking a few minutes to get myself ready, a thought came to mind. I realized that when things were just ridiculous at times, I didn't start questioning "WHY" ... I just went straight to "HOW".

* How am I going to get us all to church on time?
* How am I going to deal with 2 insanely wild boys in the process?
* How am I going to keep them from burning down the house while I am showering?
* How am I going to get there?

I am so grateful that I already answered the "WHY" years ago, because if that was the question I was asking myself each Sunday morning, I don't know that I would be the right frame of mind to get the answer I needed. Fortunately I asked that question years ago and found my answer. And once that is answered, it never needs to be revisited. I know "WHY". I know that I have a Heavenly Father who loves me. I know that His Son is my Savior, my Redeemer, my Brother, my Friend. I know that when I follow the path that they have shown me, I will find happiness, I will feel the spirit and I will learn and grow from the experience. I also know that sometimes the path is hard, but it isn't ever impossible.

I also know that when I am floundering in a sea of "HOW's", that a simple prayer will provide more strength and support than I could ever imagine possible.

Now, there have been days where I let something keep us home from church, but I also know that there could have been a whole lot more.

So, we'll keep on working through these wonder years and I'll just keep in mind that it isn't ever going to get easier, but I will get to the point where grape Kool-aid isn't spilling all over my kitchen while I am getting dressed for church. And if it does happen again, a couple of towels will get me right back on track.

Note to self: No more Kool-aid on Saturdays!!!