Monday, October 27, 2008

The Ripple Effect

It's funny how one little look or a comment from someone can create a reaction in you that will cause you to give a little look or say something that will have an effect on someone else. So, when I looked out over our congregation yesterday and saw tears from so many, I knew exactly where it all started ... our Stake President.

Yesterday we had our Primary Program. We have been working hard for this day and I have been allowed to continute working with the Primary children up through the program before I will be released (since my husband has been asked to serve in a rather demanding capacity - I am getting 'the boot'). Needless to say, yesterday was an emotional day for me and I was soaking in every moment I could. We were able to rehearse in prepare in a peaceful, calm manner and I was so relieved that I would be able to sit back and watch the children during the program without all the anxiety that has accompanied me during previous programs. My fantastic counselors had been so inspired to see and meet needs as they arose (sometimes even beforehand), and it felt like all was ready, down to the tiniest of details.

The children had been amazing, they worked hard, paid attention to the music leaders, and remained reverent while we went through the entire program. We stepped outside for a little treat and some running around, then back into the church to get in our seats to await the start of the program. As we were settling in our seats, a wonderfully kind sister introduced herself to me and told me she would be our biggest cheerleader that day, she is the first counselor in the Primary General Presidency. Instead of becoming overwhelmed and unnerved by her unexpected presence, I was bouyed up by her generous spirit and hug of assurance. My heart was lifted, and I looked around at the children, there were glowing smiles on all their faces and they were ready.

And what did I do with all this Heavenly Bliss? Of course, I wanted to bawl my eyes out. I love Primary, I love the children, I love the music, I don't want to leave, so how was I to make it through this program all in one piece? I had no idea, but I sat there waiting for it to start and hoping for the best.

When the Bishop turned the time over to us, I quickly moved to my small chair by the podium where I would be able to help the children and not really get in the way. That chair was directly across from our wonderful Stake President. No sooner had I sat down then he stuck his foot out to tap me and get my attention. When I looked up at him (a bit startled, might I add) - his calm, caring demeanor smiled on me and he whispered, "Enjoy it." His kindness and directness were overwhelming, he knew that I would be out of primary soon, and he knew how hard it has been for me to let go. He wanted me to make sure I took every advantage to sit back and watch the children and drink in their testimonies and beaming spirits. That's when the crying began. I wasn't sobbing or bawling, like I probably would have done had I been in seclusion. But there was a steady stream of happy, grateful tears running down my cheeks.

That's what started it, the Bishop noticed my tears, then he, too, somewhat affected shed a few of his own. The music leaders, upon seeing the Bishop shed a few themselves and then a few more up on the stand, looking out at the music leaders were now teary. Then some in the audience joined it. Before I knew it, there were glistening eyes filling our congregation. They came along with a sweet, loving gratitude for being able to listen to and learn from the sweet testimonies of our children. It was quite a site.

Had our sweet Stake President not given me that initial nudge and caring advice, well, I don't think there would have been as big a run on the Kleenex as there was. How grateful I am to him for helping me open my heart and listen, and enjoy those beautiful children as they sang, spoke and shined during that sweet, Sunday program.