Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Heavenly Father Prepares Us

I have loved being in Primary.

From the moment I started, I was filled with a huge love and enthusiasm for the children I was serving. I thought of them all constantly. I tried my best to do whatever I could to help them really learn that they are all Children of God.

Being released shouldn't have been so easy.

I loved being in Primary. I loved getting up in front of them and teaching a lesson. I loved taking every chance I could to tell them all how much I loved them. I loved standing at the door each Sunday as they were coming in and giving them a little pat on the back or caring nudge as they came in. I loved helping them find their classes when they weren't sure where to go. I loved every single hug I received from those little sweeties. I loved their smiles, their laughs and their funny responses to questions. I loved serving with some awesome women, we had a friendship and cohesiveness that was just divine. I loved all of the fun Primary teachers we were able to work with. I loved the Primary music - there is nothing in the world like it. I loved the confidence the Bishop had in me when I went to him with questions or needs, I loved his kindness and reassurance. I loved my sweet husband giving me grief over my tendancy to "go all out" - he kept me in line! I loved every single thing about being in Primary (well - except for one, but I won't go into that). I loved being in Primary.

Being released wasn't supposed to happen so soon.

So, when the call came for us to meet with the Stake President, I knew in my heart that change was coming. During the few days we had before the meeting, my spirit kept telling me that it was my time to move on from Primary.

I didn't like what I heard inside, but I knew it was so.

As we sat down with the Stake President, I was specifically told that I would need to be released in order for my husband to serve where he was needed at this time. And my heart was ready, it had been prepared. I was able to consent.

I was given the opportunity to stay in for a few more weeks, until our Sacrament Meeting Program, and I relished those days. I sat back and looked at each of those children and gave little hugs wherever I could.

When the program was over and the following Sunday arrived, I knew it was my last. I thought I would be too sad to even attend to my duties that day. But, I had been prepared and I was able to do everything I needed. As we sat in Sacrament Meeting, and that sneaky Bishop made sure my husband was conducting that day, I was filled was happiness and reassurance that my offering had been acceptable and that those who would take over now were just what the children needed.

Much to my surprise, there were no tears.

I was still very sad to go, but Heavenly Father prepared me.

And for once, I listened.