Sunday, November 9, 2008

Jesus is the Light of the Earth

I had one of those moments where there is some enlightening today, it's something I have never really put much thought into, but today it all came together in my heart.

I have always remembered the fact that rainbows were basically a gift from out Heavenly Father as a reminder of the covenant He has made that the Earth will never be completely flooded again, destroying all flesh. The rainbow was presented to Noah and explained that when the clouds came, the rainbow would appear and we could all be assured that we were not to be destroyed.

What hit me today was that rainbows are the result of light hitting water. When light comes in contact with water, a prism of all the colors is projected. You cannot have a rainbow without light. And this is what hit me:

John 8: 12 teaches the following "Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life."

Christ is the light of the world, He is the light that shines in our darkness and brightens the way for us. He is also the light that creates all the beautiful colors in the world. None of this would be without our Savior.

The peace that we feel in our hearts after a "storm" in our lives comes from Christ.

The beautiful experiences that can take place in the midst of turmoil come from our Savior.

The rainbow is only possible in the presence of light. And just as the rainbow was given to us to bring peace to our souls, our Savior has been given to us for the same purpose, to bring peace. The peace He brings is that of love and hope, knowing that we are Children of God and that through the atonement of Christ, we can return to live with our Father in Heaven someday. I cannot think of a greater peace I have in my life than that one statement.

So, whenever I see a rainbow from now on, I will not only remember the covenant Heavenly Father has made with His children, but I will see that His Son, our Savior, is the source of that peace on our earth.