Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Thank You Bob

Every morning I listen to the same radio program while I am taking the kids to school. I have to admit I don't really care for the host most of the time (mostly because of what he says about teachers), but I still listen because every once in a while he will share a little something that ends up being very helpful and inspiring to me.

I just had one of those mornings.

I have been very saddened by the reaction of some people on a vote which happened recently. The vote was to protect the nature of marriage and Christians from all walks of life worked very hard to keep the laws in their state the way they wanted. Their proposition passed and their hard work paid off. And as much as I believe there is an eternal reward for their work, they were immediately met with persecution.

They are being persecuted for standing up for what they believe in. It is so sad to see, but it is nothing new, this has been going on since man has been on the earth.

My sadness has also left me pondering, realizing someday I am going to need to be the one to stand up for things like this. My heart is saddened knowing that people will call me a hateful person for standing up for this, when my heart is full of love. But that love goes to my God first and then to man. I have no hatred for my fellow beings, but someday it will be said that I do. That makes my heart ache.

So, thank you Bob, for at least reminding me that even though my heart will be troubled by these things, there is a purpose for standing up for the things of God. And thank you for reminding us all of these scriptures that we have read and heard so many times. How applicable they are to this present situation.

Matthew 5: 10-12

10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

There is an eternal happiness and peace that will see me through these troubling times. And eventually (perhaps not it in this life, but in the life to come) my brothers and sisters on this earth that might revile against me, will then know that I had nothing but love in my heart.

And in my heart is a constant prayer for those facing this presently, may peace comfort your soul for what you have done and the efforts you have made. My heart and prayers are with you all.